Alex, Jolie, Rowan, Isla, and Maryn

Alex, Jolie, Rowan, Isla, and Maryn

Monday, July 8, 2013

Day 8: A piece of advice you give to others

My philosophy for the last 5 years has been, "Life's too short to do things you really don't want to do."  For real.

 If you get a wedding invitation, and you really don't want to go, don't go.  You should still send a card, but you get the drift.

 If a friend invites you to a party, but you really don't want to go, don't go.  The only catch here is, don't lie or make up an excuse-you'll be found out.  You simply say, "It won't work with my schedule this time, but thank you for the invitation."  The point is, you prioritize your schedule for your family, and no one needs to know that you don't have anything else going on, but that you would much rather spend it with your family than x, y, or z. 

You should never do something out of pure obligation.  There should always be some sort of eagerness in your own heart!

Now, I can't say that this works 100% of the time, because I'm sure there have been times I have done things I really didn't want to do, but I felt it necessary to do them for some reason.  In general, though, you schedule your own life, and "Life's too short to do things you really don't want to do.":-)

2 comments:

  1. That is a good piece of advice. I should live by it more often. Although, most of the things I don't want to do aren't friend related they are work related and I have to do them. :/

    ReplyDelete