Alex, Jolie, Rowan, Isla, and Maryn

Alex, Jolie, Rowan, Isla, and Maryn

Friday, June 29, 2012

Craftiness!

For those that know me well, you know I am not a crafty person.  In fact, I really don't like stuff!  If you were to visit our home, you would notice we are fairly minimalistic in decoration.  I just have never really thought that crafting was important enough to make time for, and so I just have never done it.  Well that, and the fact that I really just don't have time to craft during the school year!  I'm also incredibly not sentimental, because often this involves the keeping of "stuff."  My husband hates this about me, because I have no problem getting rid of just about anything that wasn't used, oh we will say, yesterday:-)

 I have dabbled in crafting this summer.  Simple projects to add some color to our home and a touch of creativeness.  It has been fun, and I have found it to be somewhat relaxing.  Here are a couple of the projects I have done so far!

 The first project I made was a chalkboard.  I took an old frame from my cedar chest.  The kids and I painted the frame yellow.  Then I spray painted the glass with chalkboard paint.  Don't panic!  I took it outside to actually spray paint;-)  Super easy!  The cost of this project was fairly cheap.  Here is a breakdown of the project.

Paint-$1.20
Chalkboard Spray Paint-$7.99 (Obviously, I did not use all of it!)
Frame-FREE from my own house!
Chalk-FREE from the kids' stash;-)
I am going to put it on my table for little notes!

I made a chalkboard!  


 The second project I did was a sentimental project!  I just love the little hand prints of small children.  I saw on Pinterest to use them as wall art!  What a fabulous idea, so I did it with our own kids.  Again, this was super simple for someone not crafty like me!  I simply painted two canvas boards, then dipped my children's hands in white acrylic paint and stuck them on the dried canvas.  I will confess this is harder than it looks to not mess up the hand print.  We had to repaint both boards and try a second time to get hand prints that I was satisfied with:-)

Paint-$1.20 x 3=$3.60 (one of each of the colors and white)
Canvas Boards-$3.99 for package of 2
Brush-We had these around, so I didn't have to buy them.

That's it.  I hung these in our living room, and I think they are a sweet little reminder that they don't stay little for long!

So precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment