Alex, Jolie, Rowan, Isla, and Maryn

Alex, Jolie, Rowan, Isla, and Maryn

Friday, March 21, 2014

Carry On, Warrior

Carry On, Warrior


The kids and I ventured to the library yesterday, and I grabbed a book that I had seen online.  This particular book was a memoir ( I love those) about a mom who was also a recovering bulimic and alcoholic.  She has written on the blog, Momastery since 2009.  I have never followed this particular blog before, but I am now;-)

I finished this 265 page book in less than 24 hours.  Don't worry, both children are still alive and have been fed;-)  The book was fantastic.  No, it was better than fantastic.  It was exactly what my heart needed right now.  The author, Glennon, blends honesty with her faith in God and his perfect plan for our life.  Obviously, Glennon has seen rock bottom, but she is one of the most genuinely faithful authors I have read.  She is real. Her life isn't perfect, and she doesn't try to sugarcoat it.  

One of my favorite lines is early in the book.  She says, "Life is brutal.  But it's also beautiful. Brutiful, I call it.  Life's brutal and beautiful are woven  together so tightly that they can't be separated."  We all have our own brutal and our own beautiful, but you can't take either one of them independent of the other, although life would be so much more pleasurable without the brutal;-)  

She has many quotable pieces in this book, and she was incredibly easy to relate to.  I laughed, I cried, I smiled.  It's just genuine, and I liked that.  

3 comments:

  1. I just read one of her essays on a page I follow. The one about ever child being gifted and talented. The essay and reactions were very interesting. I might have to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was a teacher at one point, but teaching isn't really the emphasis. It is more parenting and loving each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took the essay from a broad or general point of view, but I think some of the parents on that page felt like she was talking educationally. :/ I'm interested now. I bought the Nook book.

    ReplyDelete