Alex, Jolie, Rowan, Isla, and Maryn

Alex, Jolie, Rowan, Isla, and Maryn

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Thanksgiving!


I read this devotion this week, and it spoke to me.  Such a fantastic reminder as we embark upon the holiday season.


While Jesus was in the Temple, he watched the rich people dropping their gifts in the collection box. Then a poor widow came by and dropped in two small coins.LUKE 21:2



"A heap of donations surrounded me: outgrown clothing, discarded stuffed animals, a baby doll with disheveled and torn hair, shoes thin from wear. These items had been packed in old suitcases and dragged to Honduras to be presented as gifts for people who lived miles from running water and the nearest schools or health clinics. We had come to provide health care and gifts, offering a week of time. As we saw the last person at our makeshift clinic, we were presented with a gift. An old woman, her face etched with wrinkles, yet with gentleness in her eyes extended her hands and presented us with a bag of sugar and a chick. At that moment, I couldn’t help but wonder if our gifts had represented a true sacrifice.".  -Kathy Pride




I absolutely love Christmas and giving gifts, but I am constantly reminded that there are many people in this world who do not have the lifestyles we have or even simple things like running water or medicine for their sick babies.  It is all about perspective, and I found this to be a needed reminder to generously give of my time as well as our gifts to those less fortunate than us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment