Alex, Jolie, Rowan, Isla, and Maryn

Alex, Jolie, Rowan, Isla, and Maryn

Sunday, January 31, 2010

What Will People Remember?


It has certainly been a hard week for our family as Alex lost a classmate and a good friend this week. Micah Rolfs transitioned to a new life on January 23, 2010. To say this has had an impact on us would be an understatement, but it has certainly caused us to stop and think about our own uncertainty of our days and how we choose to spend the time we are given.

Up to this point, Alex and I have always joked that we don't have a will simply because we are not going to die and neither is anyone we love. All jokes aside, we can't hide behind that idea because in reality it simply isn't true. Truth is, we don't get to know or plan when we leave this world and our loved ones behind. Nor do we get to know when we speak with someone if it is the last time we will see them.

I say this in reflection on Micah. I had seen Micah twice in the last month-once in Dillons on a weeknight and once at a coffee shop we had only frequented once. At Dillons, we stopped and chatted about daily schedules, life, and our son, Rowan. We ended with the cordial "Great to see you," but I had no idea I would not speak with him again. A couple of days later, we saw Micah in a meeting at a coffee shop, smiled and waved as he was preoccupied with his group, and we scurried on our way.

I will remember Micah smiling, happy, and kind because that was the Micah I knew. He was just genuinely a sweet man who always made time for you. At his service, his mom said, "Micah lived in the present." I have no doubt he did, and he lived having fun.

Unlike Micah, I struggle with living in the present. I always fret about what is coming next or worrying about what happened yesterday. Truth is, you don't get to know if there will be a tomorrow. I need to focus on the present, and the joys the present brings.

The last text message Micah sent his mom said, "Night." She replied, "I am blessed to know you, and I love you." He texted back, "Love you too!" I concur, we were blessed to know Micah, and our lives are better for it.

So on we go, living in the present and uncertain of where the story ends. I acknowledge my blessings as many and vow to make time for the now.

No comments:

Post a Comment