Alex, Jolie, Rowan, Isla, and Maryn

Alex, Jolie, Rowan, Isla, and Maryn

Monday, January 18, 2010

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

It is a Monday. What should be a typical Monday is a very atypical day in our house. I should be at work with 115 other people's children, but instead I get to spend today with my Little Man. Alex took my car to work (it gets better gas mileage than his 1994 GMC truck), so Little Man and I are at home. I can't think of a better way to spend our day than this, though. Our day has consisted of cuddling and the movie UP, building with blocks, reading all of the books in our crate, and eating some soup with bananas and some ever scrumptious crackers called FlipSides. All that before Little Man went down for his nap.
This peaceful day because of a man who believed in change 50 years ago and fought ever so bravely for it. I teach the 1960s to my 7th graders, and it still brings tears to my eyes to read the horrific accounts of that time period. How anyone should show such violence on such innocent people, especially children. MLK was a hero. While I don't believe I will ever have the courage MLK displayed, I look to him as a role model and as a man who made a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment